Saturday, March 28, 2009

The evilness of Greed

"The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern"
Proverbs 29:7

A vulture waits patiently as its next "meal" clings to life, using every ounce of strength just to breath. This is one of the most disturbing images my eyes have ever seen. When was the last time an image like this appeared on the news? When was the last time we heard of thousands of people dying daily because they didnt have so much as a clean glass of water to drink?

Instead we hear of millionaires and billionaires fighting to keep their wealth. The evilness of greed is all around us. I know very little about politics, and I couldnt begin to describe how the stock market works, but I do know that well over half the worlds population lives in extreme poverty. When did it become ok for people to people to be so consumed with their own wealth that they completely turn their backs to fellow human beings in desperate need.

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"
Mark 8:36

It was recently reported that an astounding 700 people applied for a janitorial position at a local school in Ohio. There was another story of a CEO who made $750,000 a year that is now delivering pizzas for less than $8 an hr. I sit here with barely enough money in my account to pay my bills for the next month, but am still more wealthy than half of the world.

There is no arguing that times are tough right now, but what if we decided that instead of hoarding our money, we gave it away to those who are truly in need? The SECOND GREATEST COMMANDMENT that the Lord God gave us was to "Love your neighbor as yourself". What if we were obedient and lived this out? Living this way would heap coals of fire on the head of the enemy. The devil wants us to live in fear, he wants us to forget about everyone else and worry about ourselves. How incredible would it be to step out in faith, giving freely, and trusting God to supply our every needs.

Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
Matthew 7:9-11

I know that everything I am and everything I own are gifts from my Father in Heaven. He will do with them whatever He so chooses.

Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.
Job 1:21





No comments:

Post a Comment